Below you’ll find an ateaseweb.com exclusive preview from an interview with Thom Yorke to be published in Dutch magazine ‘OOR’ on Saturday May 31st.
Hail to the Thief is Radiohead’s last album on their Parlophone/EMI contract. Thom nods. And he jumps up again. ‘Oh, but we’re very happy with EMI. Don’t get me wrong. We really like to stay, but actually…you shouldn’t ask me about Radiohead’s future. I just don’t know. None of us know. We’ll have to finish the promotional shit for the album release first. And the tour. After that we will be completely numb and undoubtedly we won’t be able to think about the future then either [laughs].
Thom is convinced that Hail to the Thief is a definitive close of another Radiohead chapter, because he feels he’s on the edge of self parody. ‘And I’ve seen too many bands that went over the edge. Since then I’m determined to watch it carefully. We’re a pop band again for now, because it was necessary. Just doing what we’re good at. But, no matter how good I feel about the new album and how much fun we’re having in what we do right now, we’ve been there already. We’re not moving. This is OK Computer 2. What we will do from now on, should not be anything like we’ve done before. So no, we will not go further back, like everyone expects. There won’t be a second ‘The Bends’. There is not a single good reason for it. And this is not a rigorous personal decision i’m making towards you here and now. As a band, we have fully discussed this matter recently. (…) Radiohead will be completely unrecognizable in two years. At least, I hope so. It’s the only perspective of the future that I can live with.
Radiohead news on this day..
- Radiohead 2012 World Tour: the stats so far – 2012
- Weezer cover Radiohead’s Paranoid Android – 2011
- How To Be Like Colin Greenwood in 10 easy steps – 2007
- The Eraser lyrics – 2006
- Thom wants to meet Alistair McIntosh – 2005
- Hot air from green rockers Radiohead – 2005
- Parrots Nest II or the the end of Radiohead… – 2004
- Vote for Radiohead on C4′s greatest videos – 2004
- Thom: “Everything in its right place” should’ve been a single – 2003
- Hail To The Thief graffiti – 2003