‘HAIL TO THE THIEF’ is on course to achieve the biggest first week album sales
in the UK this year after selling over 60,000 copies in just two days. If the
album, the band’s sixth, continuesselling in such quantities it could even challenge
last year’s best first week sales – 270,000 for Coldplay’s ‘A Rush Of Blood
To The Head’ and 260,000 for Robbie Williams’ ‘Escapology’.
‘Hail To The Thief’ is currently selling more than the rest of the Top Five
put together, including Metallica’s ‘St Anger’ and Stereophonics’ ‘You Gotta
Go There To Come Back’, currently 2003′s biggest first-week seller, having shifted
102,000 in that period.
HMV chart spokesman Gennaro Castaldo said: "It just goes to show how many
people are still into Radiohead. There’s a degree of compulsion with this band."
thanks Ivan & Reuben]
In the USA Hail to the Thief is having a great first week by any account. After
one day of sales, the album looks like it will approach 250k for the week, with
plenty of stock in the marketplace.[thanks ari & jacek]
Radiohead news on this day..
- Radiohead live in Auburn Hills – Live Report – 2012
- U2, Coldplay, Westlife and Radiohead – 2008
- Stanley Donwood issues new Taglibro – 2007
- Radiohead in Montreal – Night 2 Live Report – 2006
- Thom Yorke interview in The Observer – 2006
- Fitter Happier Fred interview – 2004
- Win a Hail to the Tief Vespa – 2003
- Jonng Greenwood audio interview – 2003
- Wednesday reviews – 2003
- CFOX announce Vancouver show – 2003