Band Aid 20 has sold almost 100,000 copies on its first day of sales, putting it on an easy course to reach number one. Mercury Records, who have released the single on behalf of the Band Aid Trust, reckon that Monday’s sales totalled 95,000 copies. The new version of ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’, which features Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood, is expected to top the chart on Sunday and stay at number one until Christmas.
Apple’s iTunes store have added the track as well. Apple had been unwilling to raise the cost of the single in line with other download services, said Band Aid. But the single is now on sale for 79p – the usual cost of a song from iTunes – with Apple donating a further 70p to the charity for each song downloaded.
A documentary about the making of the single, Band Aid 20, is on BBC One at 2235 GMT on Monday.
Radiohead news on this day..
- Radiohead add second Mexico show, Caribou and Other Lives supporting – 2011
- Radiohead to headline Optimus Alive Festival in Portugal – 2011
- Radiohead score five Grammy nominations – 2011
- Radiohead tickets update – 2007
- Radiohead on YouTube and AOL Radio – 2007
- Radiohead tour takes shape, Tickets available – 2007
- Chieftan Mews Auction Nets Over $700! – 2004
- Xfm Rock School contest – 2004
- ‘Punch-up at a Wedding’ Promos – 2003
- Jonny Greenwood interview on BBC Radio 3 – 2003