Not that it’s any surprise at all, but according to new sales figures it looks like Band Aid 20’s re-recording of ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ will be the Christmas Number 1 single. According to HMV the track is currently outselling its nearest rivals (Kylie Minogue’s ‘I Believe In You’ and Ronan Keating and Cat Stevens ‘Father And Son’) by five to one, and sold more than 55,000 copies on Sunday and Monday (Devember 13).
This takes the overall sales figures to a little over 600,000 copies since the release on November 29, and means the song has now overtaken Eamon’s ‘I Don’t Want You Back’ as the UK’s biggest-selling single of the year. If it continues to sell at this pace, it may well become the UK’s first million-selling single since Will Young’s debut single ‘Evergreen’ from back in 2002. [from XFM]
Radiohead news on this day..
- Revealed: Occupy Wall Street & the Radiohead show that never happened – 2011
- Radiohead to play second show in Nimes – 2011
- Radiohead confirmed for Austin City Limits taping – 2011
- Thom Yorke announces Eraser remix downloads – 2007
- Radiohead at Hurricane Festival on Viva TV – 2004
- Auction winners receive items for free – 2004
- Tickets for Ether Festival on sale – 2004
- 6Music Radiohead X-mas schedule – 2003