Drummmer Greg Saunier described the effect tour mates Radiohead had on the mixing of the recently released ‘Friend Opportunity’ album, done while the two bands were on the road together last year.
He explained: “If you can imagine coming home from a Radiohead concert and 20,000 people are all in tears and everyone loves it…you turn on your rough mix and it sounds garbage in comparison.
“It sounds like nothing in every way; the sound is not as good, the emotion seems so dim and the overall power of it doesn’t connect. That feeling, while depressing at first was such a great help in a way, to be devastated by music again…that’s how we felt.”
Saunier discussed the approach his band took to their music after touring with Thom Yorke and co.
He stated: “It’s not that we ever wanted to imitate Radiohead’s music, but we did want to do something that sounded good AFTER Radiohead. In other words Radiohead put out ‘Amnesiac’ – what’s somebody going to do, not to top it but to respond it as if in a musical conversation? We treated it like a question, a call to which we wanted to respond in the music world.”
Also see the story where Greg talked about touring with Radiohead here.
Radiohead news on this day..
- Radiohead and Amplive agree on release remix project – 2008
- Thom Yorke to guest DJ on NPR’s All Songs Considered – 2008
- Christina Aguilera, Nirvana and Radiohead – 2007
- Tickets for bogus Las Vegas show – 2006
- More on The Weird Sisters from ‘Goblet of Fire’ – 2005
- Radiohead win 2 NME Awards – 2004
- Phil Selway opens charity centre – 2002