Radiohead’s In Rainbows is leading the first albums market of 2008 in the UK. In the most recent updates of the charts the album is only experiencing a narrow lead over Take That’s Beautiful World.
Music Week reports that ‘In Rainbows’ is presently around 4,000 sales ahead of the Take That album following its Monday (December 31) physical release, according to newly-issued retail figures. If ‘In Rainbows’ does finish at number one by week’s end, it will be the Oxford band’s fifth UK albums chart-topper this Sunday. In what is traditionally a very quiet time of year for new releases, ‘In Rainbows’ is poised to be the only brand new entry to the Top 75 this weekend, although several albums will make sharp chart gains in and around the Top 20. In the US ‘In Rainbows’ debuts prematurely due to street date violations at No. 157, with 9,000 copies sold, according to Billboard, which was released a day later (January 1).
Online retailers Amazon.com have the new Radiohead on top of all the charts. ‘In Rainbows’ tops the overall music categories at Amazon.com, Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk. Radiohead’s seventh album is also number 1 at the French version of the store, 2nd at the German, 26th in Japan and not to be found in the Chinese Amazon store.
Radiohead news on this day..
- Listen: Radiohead Live at Lowlands 1995 – 2012
- Twilight – New Moon tops 2009 Soundtrack charts – 2010
- Thom Yorke: ‘In Rainbows’ is our classic album – 2008
- OK Computer to get complete reggae treatment – 2006
- Almost $ 19,000 for Tsunami Aid – 2005
- TMGLMOAT review in NY Times – 2005
- End-of-the-year lists v34.0 – 2004
- Hail To The Thief statistically third best album of 2003 – 2004
- Radiohead laser shows in Seattle – 2002