As reported earlier, Radiohead are not playing Glastonbury this year. The festival organisers stated that Radiohead had other plans around that time, but Thom Yorke told the Sun it was due to the lack of public transport to the festival site.
When it comes to Radiohead shows, Thom said: “What we’re trying to do now is only play in areas that have a public transport infrastructure in place. So that rules out Glastonbury for this year. Maybe we can work out a plan for the future. They’re probably sick of the sight of us anyway.”
Thom was in Brussels yesterday to campaign for The Big Ask. “I was exhausted in Brussels yesterday morning. I was really nervous and hardly slept last night. It’s not like playing a gig — that’s just normal. This is a really big deal.”
Thom Yorke: “As for Radiohead, I am trying to build a system under my house that heats it naturally from the ground. One of the conditions of the band carrying on touring is that we do everything we can to minimise our impact on the environment. That has included buying two lots of equipment and keeping one in Europe and one in America so we never have to fly our kit around the world again. Another big one is shipping stuff rather than flying it. We also use new technology for our lighting rig. One of the interesting things we discovered is how people get to our big shows. A lot of the time people are driving with one or two people in a car and that’s an ecological disaster.”
Radiohead news on this day..
- Thom Yorke dances again in Atoms For Peace video Ingenue – 2013
- Listen: Jonny Greenwood vs. Krzysztof Penderecki: 48 Responses to Polymporphia – 2012
- Radiohead – Cut A Hole & Identikit (live in Miami) – The Videos – 2012
- Pre-sale for All Points West available now – 2008
- Jonny: Linda Smith R.I.P. – 2006
- Bodysong review in Cleveland Scene – 2004
- Grammy for Best Recording Package – 2002