The Wombats, known for their hit single Let’s Dance To Joy Division and its parent album A Guide To Love, Loss And Desperation, tried to lure Radiohead’s Ed O’Brien into their cheese party, but the guitarist declined.
The band, who played on The Main Square Festival with Radiohead recently, were interviewed for Australian magazine Rip It Up. Matthew Murphy: “We just played with Radiohead the other day and when Thom Yorke walked past I just sort of froze and didn’t say anything to him. I guess when you’re touring so much you realise how normal these people are, so I don’t really get starstruck anymore. I didn’t talk to any of Radiohead – I bowed my head at Ed O’Brien but he just gave me this really weird smile back. Then we shouted at him from across the road if he wanted to come to a cheese party, but he smiled and walked off. I would go as far to say that Ed’s culinary tastes do not go as far as cheese.”
Do you enjoy trying the native cheese produce of the world as you travel the globe?
“We were filming a TV show called The Fixers and basically this fixer had to come on tour with us and sort out whatever we wanted, so she sorted out a wine tasting and cheese party after we’d finished supporting Radiohead. She’d arranged the smelliest cheeses and when Ed O’Brien walked past we just shouted at him, so he probably wondered what the hell was going on.”
Radiohead news on this day..
- Radiohead live in Taipei – Live Report – 2012
- Radiohead expand remix vinyl series to 6 or 7, CD expected in september – 2011
- ‘Tinkered With’ Radiohead shirts – 2007
- Thom’s old notes – 2006
- Radiohead T-shirt contest: Deadline closing soon – 2005
- Episode 4 of Radiohead.tv out on promo tape – 2004
- Win ‘Hail to the Thief’ – 2003
- Radiohead three German dates with Asian Dub Foundation – 2003
- ‘There There’ video nominated at MTV Video Awards – 2003
- Thom & Jonny’s acoustic set to be broadcast in November – 2003