Grizzly Bear must have made something of an impression on Jonny Greenwood during their recent stint supporting Radiohead along the US and Canadian East Coast.
At last Friday’s tour-closing concert in Toronto, Colin and Jonny Greenwood sported Grizzly Bear t-shirts and, just before Radiohead played ‘House Of Cards’, Jonny stepped forward and said something along the lines of “Thom wants me to thank my favorite band in the world, Grizzly Bear, so thanks a lot, thank you very much for touring with us.” To which Thom exclaimed, excitedly, “Jonny speaks!”
The Quietus asked Grizzly Bear mainman Ed Droste how it had felt to be the band that broke Greenwood’s onstage silence. “Oh Lord, that’s a big statement and not entirely true, he speaks, just not a lot on stage,” Droste said. “I was pretty shocked honestly. I was standing in the crowd with Leslie [Feist] and Owen [Pallett, known to you as Final Fantasy] and they turned to me and were like ‘did you FUCKING HEAR THAT?!?’ I will say I miss touring with them, it’s sort of like after that, can anything be better? I guess I should go live on a farm and raise some kids or something.”
Radiohead news on this day..
- Radiohead In Prague – 2009
- News in brief: Rock Band, OK Computer, Interpol – 2007
- Bedtime stories by Thom Yorke – 2006
- Help: A Day In The Life – Canadian release – 2006
- Thom Yorke sessions and interviews online – 2006
- Lowlands determined to get Radiohead next year – 2006
- Creep is back… – 2006
- Thom: Last day of first recording sessions – 2005
- ‘Help’ anniversary album update – 2005
- DOWNLOAD CREEP FROM BOSTON – 2003