Radiohead have lost the Album of the Year Award to Robert Plant & Alison Krauss at last night’s Grammy Awards. ‘In Rainbows’ was up for the award, but Plant & Krauss picked up the award for their ‘Raising Sand’.
It was the third time Radiohead had an album nominated in this category and have now lost for the third time. However, ‘In Rainbows’ was awarded with ‘Best Alternative Album‘ last night at the Los Angeles Staples Center, beating albums by Beck, Death Cab For Cutie, Gnarls and My Morning Jacket. And there was another award for Radiohead. Art directors Stanley Donwood, Mel Maxwell & Christiaan Munro received a Grammy for Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package for ‘In Rainbows’ discbox.
As announced earlier, Radiohead were set to perform at the Grammy Awards Ceremony. Announced by Gwyneth Paltrow, Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood performed ’15 Step’ with USC Marching Band.
Radiohead’s ‘House of Cards’ was nominated for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals and Best Rock Song, but the song couldn’t compete with ‘Sex on Fire’ by Kings of Leon and ‘Girls In Their Summer Clothes’ by Bruce Springsteen. The award for Best Short Form Music Video went to Weezer’s ‘Pork and Beans’ and not to ‘House of Cards’.
More bad news, Nigel Godrich was nominated for Producer of the Year for his work on ‘In Rainbows’, but lost to Rick Rubin. Check the full list of nominees and winners of this year’s Grammy Awards.
Radiohead news on this day..
- Stanley Donwood site update; new items in shop – 2010
- Thom Yorke selects his Top 5 Bleep downloads – 2009
- EMI to release Radiohead’s Greatest Hits – 2008
- End of the week… – 2007
- KT Tunstall covers Fake Plastic Trees – 2006
- Thom & Jonny to play exlusive Big Ask gig – 2006
- Rodeohead update – 2005
- Radiohead win Grammy award – 2004
- Radiohead to play Belfort Festival – 2003
- Climbing Up The Walls (Zero 7 Remix) released on Chillout Sessions – 2002